Athanasios KOKKALAKIS, Police Lieutenant Colonel
He was born in 1967 at Agrinio Aitoloakarnanias (West Central Greece)
Joined the Hellenic Police in April 1985
Became Police Lieutenant 2nd, in June 1993, after he successfully graduated from the Hellenic Police Academy (Grade – «Very Good»)
Graduated in June 2006, the Post Graduated Training of the Hellenic Police Academy (equivalent to Masters Degree – Grade «Excellent»)
In December 4, 2009 he was appointed the Press Spokesman of the Hellenic Police and officially assumed duties in March 18, 2010
As an Officer he has served chronologically :
- Crisis Management Division
Information Analysis & Threat Assessment Unit
Deputy Head Officer
( March 2006 – December 2009 )
- Olympic Games Security Division Interagency Exercise Planning Team Head of Scenarios and Audiovisual Office (April 2002 – March 2006)
- Special Violence Crime Division (Antiterrorism Department)
( August 1996 – April 2002 )
- General Police Directorate of Attica
Officer of Attica Security Division ( Financial Crime Squad)
( June 1993 – August 1996)
ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES :
Under the framework of his official duties, among others, he has served as a :
- Member of the Olympic Games Interagency Task Force for the elaboration and implementation of the Olympic Games Crisis Management System as well as the Operational Joint Task Force for the elaboration of the Hellenic Police Crisis Management System.
- Representative of the Hellenic Police to the European Commission for the elaboration of the European Program Critical Infrastructure Protection (EPCIP) as well as the EU Preparatory Working Group for the elaboration of European Union Integrated Crisis Management Arrangements (EUICMA).
- Member of the Special Experts Interministry Committee / Civil Protection General Secretary / Ministry of Interior, for the implementation of the European Program Critical Infrastructure Protection (EPCIP) and the European Union Integrated Crisis Management Arrangements (EUICMA).
- Lecturer of the Hellenic Police to national and international fora, conferences e.t.c. on Critical Infrastructure Protection as well as on Emergency Situations / Crisis Management and Readiness Exercise Programs
- Member of the Instructors Personnel of the Hellenic Republic Public Administration National Centre, in the field of Civil Protection and Public Management.
- Instructor to Police Academy, at all levels of education, on Crisis Management and Readiness Exercise Programs
- Member of National Coordination Body for the implementation of the Olympic Games Readiness Exercise Program and coordinator of the Scenario and Audiovisual sector of Olympic Games Readiness Exercise Program, at interagency and international level.
- Responsible for the research, implementation and function of the Hellenic Police (Audiovisual) Studio
- Scholar – Associate Expert of the Security Studies Centre / Ministry of Citizen Protection in matters of venues security and programs of critical infrastructures protection.
- Police Intelligence Staff Instructor.
- Instructor of Olympic Venues Special Operational Teams for the handling of land and sea critical incidents
- Police Self Defense and Shooting Instructor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
In addition, he has successfully participated in a huge variety of seminars and training programs relevant to Crisis Management, Intelligence Management, Critical infrastructure protection, Counterterrorism, VIP protection, Surveillance and Counter Surveillance Courses, Olympic Venue security, Bomb threat management, Crime Investigation and Prosecution, Tactical Commanders, Access control.
Furthermore, under the framework of the Olympic Games 2004 Security Program, he was specifically trained in matters of Crisis Management by experts of the United Kingdom/ Home Office/ Terrorism Protection Unit and the U.S.A./ National Defense University
Greek Native – English (independent user).